Saturday, June 2, 2012

Harriet Russell at the Las Cruces Museum of Art

Dinah is a sometimes vendor at the Saturday Downtown Las Cruces Farmer's Market which is located on Main Street, and Dinah's booth is located in front of the Las Cruces Museum of Art.  As we were setting up this morning, Dinah noticed the billboard for the current show and it displayed the name "Harriet Russell".
Dinah's booth in front of the Las Cruces Museum of Art, with the sign for Sauce's show at the extreme right center
 Now, Harriet "Saucy" Russell is my former wife; we were married from 1975 until 1992. She was on the faculty of the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, when I met her and has been an artist all her life.  She now lives in Cuba, New Mexico, where she has a studio and continues to do art.
Sauce's show announcement. The painting at the top is Sauce's; the sculpture is by Sara D'Alessandro whom I do not know.

I'm not an "Arts" person, most of Sauce's work is abstract, and I've never really appreciated what she does. But one picture I have always liked very much is Sauce's 'The Birches' done in 1980 from a picture of birch trees on land that she & I owned in New Hampshire.  That picture now hangs in Dinah's & my dining room.
The Birches - done in 1980 by HRD - Harriet Russell Downs
So if you happen to be in Las Cruces between now and 21 July, stop in and check out her work.  If not, you can check it out at http://www.harrietyalerussell.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment